USA Boarding School
USA boarding schools educate future leaders.
Among the distinguished alumni of USA boarding schools are 20 American presidents, founder of Facebook Mark Zuckerberg, and businessman J.P. Morgan. Rigorous academics, unparalleled facilities, extracurricular activities, and impressive placement at top-ranked universities attract the elite from around the world.
American boarding schools offer a safe, supportive environment for international students who are away from home. Our schools have clean, beautiful dorms, dedicated teachers and staff, and years of experience educating and hosting international students.
Cogito offers USA boarding school placement and application support, which includes:
- Selecting the best school based on student interests, academic level, English level and budget
- Helping prepare application documents and essays
- Guaranteed acceptance and expedited I-20
- Assistance with airport pickup and transfer
USA Boarding Schools Provide the Best Preparation for College.
College readiness by type of school
I was well prepared for college academically
I was prepared for the non-academic aspects of college
Mark Zuckerberg attended a top private day school in New York and decided to transfer to a USA boarding school for more academic challenge. One of his business partners at Facebook was his dorm friend.
- Application (pdf)
- Application fee
- Copies of 3 years transcripts/grade reports
- Official English translation of transcripts
- English exam report (TOEFL or similar)*
- Recommendation letters from 3 teachers (English, math, other)
- Bank Statement
Most of our partner boarding schools do not require SSAT exam.
*Students who do not have required English testing should ask us about TOEFL waiver, or apply to our schools that offer strong ESL support
APPLICATION PROCESS- USA BOARDING SCHOOLS
Stage 1: School Selection
- Student submits High School Pre-Application form (pdf) to Cogito World Education
- Cogito recommends the best schools based on student’s preferences
- Cogito offers pre-acceptance upon initial paperwork review.
Stage 2: Applying
- Submit Full Application Form (pdf) to Cogito with supporting documents
- SKYPE INTERVIEW – short, informal interview with Admissions officer
Stage 3: Acceptance & Enrollment
- Within average 5 days, school issues acceptance with enrollment contract.
- Student signs contract and pays deposit to school
- Cogito arranges expedited I-20 delivery
- Student and family complete Matriculation Packet including parental permission and health forms
Application fees vary from $50-200 according to each boarding school. Fees are paid directly to the school. Annual tuition cost for each boarding school is the same as listed on school website.
Cost usually includes tuition, room and board and insurance. Additional expenses include: books, uniforms, student spending accounts, activity fees, personal expenses (usually between $2000-3000 total). If student needs ESL support additional costs may apply.
Upon acceptance, student is required to pay school deposit (usually 10% of the total amount). Final payment must be received by school before arrival on campus and according to the time line indicated in acceptance package.
SCHOLARSHIPS AT USA BOARDING SCHOOLS
Cogito specializes in securing partial scholarships for international students to attend USA boarding schools.
We save international students 25-75% off the entire cost of attending an American boarding school. Scholarships are based on a combination of the student’s academic results, special talents, and financial status of the family.
- Student completes Cogito Pre-Application Form indicating budget
- Cogito reviews the pre-application and negotiates maximum scholarship at 2-3 schools
- Cogito presents student with list of 2-3 schools where final price after scholarship meets student’s budget (minimum budget for academic year should be $13,950 or higher).
- Agata K, Poland
- GPA: 3.5
- TOEFL: 75
- Full cost: $67,000
- Scholarship: $40,000
- Final cost: $27,000
- Vincent P, Denmark
- GPA: 3.0
- TOEFL: 85
- Full cost: $52,000
- Scholarship: $32,000
- Final cost: $20,000
- Khang N, Vietnam
- GPA: 3.9
- TOEFL: 70
- Full cost: $49,000
- Scholarship: $15,100
- Final cost: $33,900
Boarding students live on campus in separate gender dorms that often look like big houses. Resident teachers live with their families in the dorms. They actively participate in student life by hosting dinners and other events. Dorm life helps students feel a strong sense of community and develop close friendships.
Average Boarding School dorm has:
- Single or double rooms (occasionally triple)
- Big living room with TV
- Laundry room with washer and dryer
- Kitchenette with microwave
- 1-2 teacher families living in private apartments or 1-2 dorm parents
- Additional amenities may include fire place, pool table, or piano
All student rooms have bed, desk, and dresser.
Students should bring their own towels, bed sheets (some schools provide blankets and pillows but not all of them so we recommend to carefully check the “what to bring list” provided by the school.
ELITE USA Boarding School Program
In the United States, there are no official rankings for boarding schools. Those that firmly require SSAT or ISEE tests and maintain strong selectivity (accept 10-20% of applicants) are often referred to as Top 50 or Top 100 USA boarding schools.
Example Top-Ranked USA Boarding Schools:
Phillips Academy Andover
Accepts 12% – 14% of its applicants with average SSAT scores 94 percentile
Accepts 13% of its applicants with SSAT scores starting at 87 percentile
One of the top two boarding schools in California, admits only 17% of all applicants, with a required minimum SSAT score of 82%.
Cogito offers comprehensive preparation, application support and placement at top American boarding schools. We have years of experience in successfully placing international students at the most selective high schools including Phillips Andover Academy, Phillips Exeter, Deerfield Academy, Concord Academy, Milton Academy and many others.
Acceptance to top USA boarding schools is highly competitive and requires applications to at least 4-5 schools. We recommend that students applying to top boarding schools contact us 6 months to 2 years before the application deadline in order to prepare an outstanding application package and achieve high test scores.
- B+ average academic grades
- TOEFL 80-100
- SSAT scores above 80%
- Complex preparation for SSAT exam – one-on-one tutoring services in-person or over Skype.
- Preparation for interview with assistance to the schools interviews or schools visa
- Review of application package, essay, extra-curriculum accomplishments.