The Cogito Day School Program offers the best selection of public and private high schools for international students who want to live with an American host family.
Our program is intentionally small and selective.
We place a strong emphasis on choice, allowing students a variety of prestigious school options, attractive locations, and enrichment activities.
- Only the most desirable locations: Boston, Washington, D.C., California
- Highly-educated, caring host families screened and managed by Cogito
- All students live in safe neighbourhoods within 30 minutes commute from campus. Most students live one mile (1.6 kilometers) from school.
Our high schools
Cogito high schools are well-established with a long tradition of placement into the world’s top universities. We’ve chosen our partner schools based on the following criteria:
- Medium to large student enrolment
- Selection of AP courses and special programs like STEM, robotics, arts
- Range of extra-curricular activities and sports
- Impressive college attendance lists
Students can choose:
Private Day School: Attend a college preparatory high school for multiple years and graduate with an American high school diploma. Participate in a range of sports and extracurricular activities with full access to international students.
Public Day School: Attendance for international students is restricted to one semester or one academic year, therefore this option is best for students seeking a cultural exchange experience.
- School Application
- Cogito Homestay Application
- Photographs of Student
- Copies of 3 years transcripts/grade reports
- Official English translation of transcripts
- English exam report (TOEFL, iTEP or similar)
- Recommendation letters from 3 teachers (English, math, other)
- Bank statement
*Students who do not have required English testing should ask us about TOEFL waiver. Many of our schools offer strong ESL support for students who do not have English exam scores.
Stage 1: School Selection
- Student submits High School Pre-Application form to Cogito indicating school preference
- Cogito confirms availability of space at selected school
- Cogito sends school application package
Stage 2: Applying
- Submit School Application Form to Cogito with supporting documents
- Submit Student Host Family Application
- SKYPE INTERVIEW – short, informal interview with Admissions officer
Stage 3: Acceptance & Enrolment
- Within average 10 days, Cogito sends school acceptance
- Cogito sends I-20 and host family profile
- After receiving F-1 visa, student completes enrollment. Cogito arranges airport pickup transfer.
The cost of F-1 public and private high schools varies by school. Average total annual cost is $29,900. Please check Cogito price list for specific details.
Student pays $2,500 deposit to secure school enrollment. After successful student visa, student pays full program fees to Cogito to finalize enrollment, host family placement, and arrival.
Listed cost of the academic year includes school tuition, host family placement, three meals per day, supervision provided by Cogito, emergency assistance, health insurance, and airport pick up. Additional expenses include: books, uniforms, student spending accounts, activity fees, and personal expenses (usually between $2000-3000 total). If student needs ESL support additional costs may apply.
Cogito staff personally selects, interviews and screens all our host families. Before we decide to work with a school we make sure we have strong connections in the neighbourhood. We perform a home visit and background check on each family member over 18 years old, and check in on the student throughout the school year to ensure academics, social life and home life are all on track.
We guarantee that each student will live within 30 minutes commute from school.
In fact, most of our students live within one mile (1.6 kilometers) from campus and walk to school every day.
All our families provide:
- Private bedroom with bed, desk, chair, lamp, and closet space
- Breakfast and dinner at home and food to make a lunch to take to school
- Access to either private or shared bathroom
- Some weekend or evening activities
HOST FAMILY PROFILES
Example Family #1
The 3-bedroom/2-bathroom is on a safe, tree-lined street just one mile from school. The family consists of mother, father, and 13-year-old son. The father is an Accountant and graduate of Boston University and the mother is a clinical social worker with a Master’s degree from Columbia University. The family enjoys bike riding, fishing, museums and attending their son’s hockey games.
Example Family #2
The 3-bedroom/1 bathroom home is located in the historic district of the city with a view of the ocean. The home is an artist studio-loft within easy walking distance to public transportation and part of the city’s oldest arts community. The family consists of host mother, who is an Engineer and working artist/illustrator, husband who owns a private practice in mental health and art therapy, and 8-year-old daughter. The family has hosted international students for 5 years and loves cooking meals together, gardening, and attending events in the city.
Example Family #3
The 4-bedroom/3-bathroom home is located in an upscale, family-oriented neighbourhood within walking distance to the city center and school campus. The host mother teaches at the high school and is an accomplished local artist who received State Cultural Council grants to produce programs she developed for children to connect to public art. Her son attends Pace University in New York and daughter attends Brandeis University in Massachusetts, both of whom live in campus dorms during the school year but come home for holidays. The family also has a small dog.